BitterSweetness

Truth is Bitter. Chocolate is Sweet. Somewhere in the middle lies me and my thoughts...

1.22.2006

Birthdays Revisited...

My birthday is this week. I will likely be playing the homely role, possibly wildin out with my favorite lil' men... only thing I really need is that red velvet cake!

I have been thinking about how I have spent birthdays past. We did it all. Slumber parties. McDonalds. Roller Skating rink. Slowly I'm realizing I had some really good ones! Most memorable...

Age: 7
Place: My House
The Scene: A bunch of snot-nosed kids over for a rompin good time! I seriously remember playing Pin-The-Tail on the Donkey and hitting a pinata. Aww, to be young again when games didn't consist of men lying just to kick it!

Age: 12
Place: Roller Skating Rink
The Scene: Ahh, that tender age. We wore bras like sore thumbs and danced like we knew something! I invited like half the sixth grade class there; there was likely 45-60 kids. We roller skated, played the rink games (4 Corners holla!) and met up in the center of the rink to dance. This was the year of the Tootsie Roll and The Train, so there was plenty of both. I will never forget BJ, the cool white boy from Las Vegas who could Tootsie Roll like no other....

Age: 13
Place: My House
The Scene: About seven friends over for a sleepover. Left to our own devices in the great room. We laughed, did girl talk, and of course did the obligatory sleepover games. I'm talking Raise the Dead, Bloody Mary, Ouija board, all the scary games. Of course, by the age of 13 these things were old news. So one of my cooler suggested a game. Basically it involved making each other hold our breaths and making us faint. I know, crazy right? Most of us stepped up to the plate to have a very short glimpse of "The Light at the End of the Tunnel." Mostly when we fainted, we had very short (probably 4 second??) dreams. I guess we all felt good about taking the death-risks. I'm sure everyone there will always remember that party. And I'm sure my dad would whoop my ass if he knew!

Age: 19
Place: Atlanta, GA
The Scene: My first grown birthday. It couldn't have been any sweeter: the CAU vs. MC basketball game to start off with, and a Que party at NV, my favorite club at the time! The basketball game was off the chain, and I happened to run into my major secret crush at the LetOut. I was good for a week after that!

Age: 22
Place: SWATS & Austell, GA
The Scene: What happens when five friends - three of them from out of town - get together in celebration of one friend's birth? Mother Nature Lets Loose! We try to go out to Vision, but we make it halfway and decide to turn back after seeing no less than four car accidents on I-20. Yall know niggas in Atlanta don't do Ice.. or Snow... or Rain! Fortunately, we stop at the liquor store on the way back. The next day our cars have inches of ice on top. The power goes out in our rinky dink neighborhood. We end up calling a friend's mom to come rescue us! Thank god for caring people. I did a little ghetto sledding, talked to my major secret crush of senior year, let his niggas fuck with the dog, and reminisced about old songs and TV shows with my good friends. Could have been better, yes, but will always be memorable.

This year.. we'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home